Metzetli Island Puzzle
Feel free to distribute the information from this site, although please give credit where credit is due (the drawings are Gorvin's, most of the rest is mine). Please don't post the information to public forums, though you may send the information and/or this scroll's address to whomever you wish, or post to any private forums.
Special thanks to Gorvin, Azriel, Yor, Fundin & PAG, Jo'Maril and TKA, PTF, Kerrah and the PsychoFens, Gil-Galad, Helios, Talin, and all the other people and groups that have helped on impromptu and organized exploration of the island.
Scroll last updated December 2014.
I, Org du Lac, have compiled here a list of the information for solving the Metzetli Island Crypt puzzle. For those of you not familiar with the puzzle, here's a brief summary:
In the far southwest of Metzetli Island, on the tepui, there is a large temple that has an altar and several statues seen on other parts of the island. There are exile-powered doors in this temple that lead to a dangerous crypt for an unknown civilization, which is also an extremely dangerous hunting grounds. The doors to the crypt are open only temporarily, unless effort is done by hunting to maintain the facility's power. A shortcut directly to the crypt from the jungle is also accessible once the crypt has been opened directly from the tepui. The opening of this temple was first completed in January 2009 by the group Astrum Lumini. The doors were once again opened in January 2010, but the crypt was not conquered. In March 2011, the crypt was opened for the third time by Talin and company, and was phenomenally kept open for several months. There have been occasional expeditions since then.
Clicking on points of interest below will bring up higher resolution images. Full resolution images of every area available for some regions, but the 'highlights' and slightly-lower resolution images should show enough. An up to date map can be viewed here. Thanks to Gorvin for the original, with slight edits thanks to Talin/Org to his original version.
- The basement of the basalt temple has a power supply for the 'permanent fighter' sparkles in the observation room. It has no active use for us.
- The healer sparkles in the hidden southwest rainforest temple (off to the side of temples 8 & 11) are a power supply for the 'permanent' healer sparkles in the observation room. It has no active use for us.
- The 'broken' trialyths on the tepui are directly above the 'hidden' trialyths in the southwest rainforest fighter temple, but they do not do anything themselves.
- The "Mystic" mirror in the mirror room is (at least currently) broken.-->
- There is currently no way to clear the blockage in the mirror room.
- The observation room is primarily for observation, but the mystic there can also charge the "northwest Basalt" mystic temple by moving between the two locations, but only when basalt mystic temple is active (otherwise it is one-way from basalt to observation room only).
- It is possible that the 'one sparkle' main temple charges and the Mystic temple charges may be increased in duration in the coming weeks (noted June 2011.)
- The pit drop to the southwest rainforest "fighter and mystic" temple does not always work properly. Sometimes you fall all the way through to the forest ground instead of being caught in the webs. This is intentional by design; just try again. It's pretty rare, fortunately.-->
- For activating every temple (strategy performed Autumn 571):
- Trip 1: Hunt: Go through jungle and gloamings, dropping a healer off at the gloaming river temple. Continue to the back entrance to deathroots (aka "river exit from rainforest"). Go through deathroots snell 2 to the 'main' temple. Activate the main temple, then have the two healers at the gloaming and river temples 'charge' their temples by standing on the sparkles until a triangle of 6 'sparkles' appears (this will do quite a bit of damage). Go back into the rainforest to the eastern drop point into the river (not by deathroots), drop in there and run northwest to reach the river healer temple.
- Trip 2: Hunt: Drop a Mystic (illusion-breaking required, but JM or AM will work fine once inside) off in the twilight plateau temple. Continue on and drop a fighter off at the basalt penthouse "main temple." Leave both there until the end of Day 3.
- Trip 3: Pre-hunt: Activate the "twilight lava" temple and the mystic shoreline temple. You have 3 hours from this point. The mystics should remain here until the 'primary' temple is activated, leaving a healer or fighter guardian to keep crawlers away.
- Trip 3: Hunt: Go through front entrance of deathroots, activate the healer temple there (its 3 hours timer will have expired from Day 1, but the auxiliary temples will still be active). Continue on to the rainforest mystic temple, activating that temple. Continue on to the rainforest fighter temple, activating and charging that temple, while the fighter dropped off on Day 2 activates the 'main' temple. Charge the primary Mystic temple while you are there. Continue on to the main tepui temple, charging the sparkle in the antechamber on the west side. Return to the primary Mystic temple in the rainforest and fully charge it, then return to the Mystic rainforest temple and fully charge that. The fighter at basalt temple top can fully charge that temple now as well. The other two mystics should fully charge their temples and then they may leave. This group can either then go onto tepui and begin hunting the crypt, or may leave via Trip and fully charge the healer temple there.
- Day 4: Hunt the crypt via the southern "Mystic" route and activate the mystic temple within. Now the crypt may be accessed from the jungle, and the sparkle activation is no longer necessary (as far as we know). Cautious people may wish to continue recharging temples as necessary.